Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center
Augusta CNVAMC Fisher House
The Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center (CNVAMC) Fisher House in Augusta, Georgia, is "a home away from home" for families of Veterans and military service members receiving care at the Medical Center. The Fisher House enables families to be close to their loved one during hospitalization by providing comfortable lodging, in a beautiful and relaxing setting, on the grounds of the Uptown Division of CNVAMC. Families stay at the Fisher House for free with the exception of their food.
The CNVAMC Fisher House consists of one full-time manager, one assistant manager, and one housekeeper all employed by the VA. The CNVAMC Fisher House relies on community donations and volunteer support to maintain the home. The CNVAMC Fisher House is a 16,800-square foot home with 20 private guest suites. Each guest suite has its own bed and bathroom with a shower. Other amenities include a common kitchen, laundry room, spacious dining room, living room with a library and a family room with a library of various games and a large flat screen television.
- • Guests must be a family member or caregiver of in-patient active duty military member or Veteran.
• Guests must reside 50 miles or more from the CNVAMC.
• Guests must be self-sufficient and able to independently care for themselves or be accompanied by a caregiver.
• Guests must be able to stay in an unsupervised setting, be medically stable, self-sufficient and able to independently care for themselves. There is no medical staff or maid service at the Fisher House.
• Guests must be willing to clean up after themselves and abide by all house guidelines and regulations including: no eating in guest rooms (kitchen, dining room and patio only).
• Guests cannot have the following needs and/or conditions: home health, wound vac, C-Diff, running IV’s, or TPN.
• Guests are prohibited from weapons, alcohol and drug use.
• Guests are only permitted to have a certified service dog, not companion dogs, emotional assistance dogs, emotional support dogs or comfort dogs.
How do I make a referral?
To make arrangements for families or loved ones to stay at the CNVAMC Fisher House, contact your Social Worker directly to make a lodging referral. Social Workers submit Fisher House referrals by conducting a screening interview using the Fisher House eligibility criteria. If you do not have an assigned Social Worker, your provider (Primary Care Physician or Nurse Practitioner) can give you that information. Referrals to the Fisher House should be done in advance. Rooms are assigned on a first come first serve basis. Fisher House Staff cannot confirm availability with guests until 24 hours in advance.
Volunteers and Community Support needed
The Fisher House depends on volunteers and donors to enhance daily operation and program expansion. There are many ways for individuals or groups to volunteer and help our Veteran and military families. There are regular volunteer opportunities for those who are interested in having a consistent volunteer schedule, as well as occasional volunteer opportunities for groups or individuals who are interested in volunteering occasionally.
Support the CNVAMC Fisher House
You can be a part of the Fisher House mission. The CNVAMC Fisher House depends on donations from individuals and groups to support its program. Funds will be used to support the ongoing, daily needs of the Fisher House as well as to enhance the stay of Fisher House guests. Donations of meals, snacks, bottled water, paper products, laundry detergent, fabric softener, kitchen staples including sugar, sugar substitute, milk, and fresh fruit are always appreciated. By donating directly to the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, you can be assured that 100% of your donation will be used to support the CNVAMC, Fisher House. Monetary Donations can be done directly online please visit: https://www.augusta.va.gov/giving/index.asp and click on Make A Difference E-Donate.
To learn more about CNVAMC Fisher House, volunteer opportunities, or donate please contact the Fisher House staff at 706-729-5773 or 706-729-5776.